Redness and Rosacea Treatment in Mississauga
Redness and rosacea are common skin problems, more common in patients with fair skin and a history of easy blushing. Flushing or persistent redness is most common on the central face: cheeks, nose, chin and forehead. Women are affected 3 times more often than men.
Rosacea is a common skin condition that results in redness and visible blood vessels on the face. It may also lead to small, red pimples. Rosacea can affect anyone, however it is most common in fair skinned women. It usually starts in middle-age. It is sometimes referred to as the “Celtic curse”, as people of British, Scottish and Irish descent have a higher incidence of rosacea. Rosacea is often mistaken for acne.
Signs of rosacea include:
- Flushing or blushing easily
- Facial redness which persists on the central part of the face
- Visible blood vessels called telangiectasia on the central face
- Pimples and red bumps
- Eye irritation
Rosacea patients usually report they have sensitive skin: skin care products frequently cause irritation. Rosacea can burn or sting. The skin may feel rough and scaly.
The cause of rosacea is unknown. It may be due to a combination of hereditary, immune and neurovascular factors. Rosacea is not caused by poor hygiene. There is no cure for rosacea. The goal of therapy is to control the signs and symptoms.
There are a number of triggers which can flare rosacea:
- Hot drinks
- Spicy food
- Alcoholic beverages
- Temperature extremes
- Cardio exercise
- Emotions (eg. anxiety or nervousness may lead to increased flushing)
What we can do
Although it can’t be cured, rosacea can be controlled.
- Step 1: Avoid triggers such as heat, alcohol, spicy food, sun, wind, extreme temperature change
- Step 2: Laser therapy and/or IPL treatment to improve chronic redness
- Step 3: Therapeutic skin care products to sooth sensitive skin and combat redness