Tips for sun protection:
- Apply a broad-spectrum water-resistant sunscreen of at least SPF 30, and reapply every 2 hours or so or after getting wet or sweating.
- Sunscreen should be applied even on cloudy days and in the winter (on the face).
- Wear a hat, sunglasses and sun-protective clothing
- Seek shade; remember that the sun’s rays are strongest between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Do your outdoor exercise early in the morning or in the evening.
- Remember that water, snow and sand and concrete all reflect damaging ultraviolet rays
- Avoid tanning beds
- Vitamin D is best obtained through vitamin D rich foods and enriched foods (e.g. almonds, broccoli) , or through a vitamin D supplement rather than by increasing sun exposure.